Sunday 7 September 2014

My other hobby.

Yesterday I was booked as Driver 1 which meant first choice of tram to drive.
Heidi, my conductor for the day, quite fancied having Rack 2. She hadn't driven it before and when she mentioned she would like to do a trip as it was being withdrawn from service at the end of the year we quickly chose it. Rack 2 is probably my favourite tram and I didn't realise it was being withdrawn, so the chance to have a day driving it was brilliant. 


I drove 9 trips and Heidi did 3. The fine weather trips were great but we did slip slide away on the wet ones. 

We also had trainee conductor Luke with us, pictured here helping Heidi with the information talk at Glory Mine. 


The other trams in service were 273,


and 510. 



Blackpool 40 was doing an Ultimate Driving Experience and luckily for them, when waiting at the staff post became too frustrating they could just turn and go. 



After all the long waits for other vehicles and crews, we ended up last tram as usual, but I'm not complaining, we got one more trip than anybody else :-). 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you had a wonderful honeymoon, and that you managed to get some time on Magpie II. Hope there will be lots more trips as time goes on.

    Intriguing to see the other form of transport that commands your allegiance. Is this interest also shared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is shared, that's Alison sat on the front in the first picture, though as a musician she doesn't take an active role, the hands and fingers are far too valuable.
      It comes from childhood holidays to Blackpool, all I wanted to be was a tram driver when I grew up. I've manged the first part.

      Delete